A very common operation people will come in for while at work experience was hip replacements. This is a very common operation especially in the older generation.
Some of the common reasons for a hip replacement are:
- osteoarthritis- the cartilage inside your hip joint gets worn away meaning the bones rub together which can be extremely painful
- hip fracture- which can be common in the elderly if they fall due to their fragile bones
- rheumatoid arthritis- when the immune system attacks the joint meaning it can be very painful
The recovery time can vary from two months to a year and the physiotherapy team help you regains full function of your hip.
The purpose of a new hip joint is to:
- relieve pain in order to increase comfort
- improve the function of your hip and the ability to move