My second day of work experience!

I hope you enjoyed reading my last post, so here goes my account of what happened on Tuesday:

I spent the morning in a clinic with a registrar who was specialising in endocrinology. It was about diabetes. He saw around 10 patients in total, some of which that were at risk of getting diabetes, and others that already had it. I felt that although he hadn’t had the experience of being a doctor for some time, he was still very welcoming, and was able to be friendly to the patients.

During my lunch hour, there was a little party going on for a doctor that had won an award; I snuck in a few cakes and some pizza. At this party, it showed me how close the department was, that without their teamwork it is likely they wouldn’t even be able to treat patients at the pace they do.

In the evening, I spent another evening in AMU. I was a junior doctor who was in his first year of clinical training. He came from a local school, and was telling me about the life of a medical student; it sure seemed hard, but extremely rewarding! We went to see a patient who had a build-up of fluid in his stomach due to a form of hepatitis which meant that his liver wasn’t working properly, and certain fluids weren’t being removed. To solve this, the junior doctor had to carry out keyhole surgery, with another senior doctor there showing him how to do it. It did surprise me how much packaging and different equipment they needed. The doctor had to get a syringe with a long needle, he then inserted it into the man’s belly to remove the fluid. It did take the doctor a few tries to get the needle in the correct place, but in the end, he ended up removing over a litre of fluid. He sent a small sample of this off to the liquid specialists to see what was exactly wrong with the patient and if anything needed doing urgently. I found out the transport system used to get blood round the hospital; it surprised me they used small bottles in tubes connecting the different areas of the hospital. By this time, I had discovered how slow the NHS computers were, due to ageing software and outdated computers; one doctor was telling me that if one could sort out the filing system, the computers could be speeded up a lot faster.

That’s it for Tuesday, come back here next fortnight for Wednesday’s blog

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *