Why Fidget Spinners Are Actually Harmful

Fidget spinners: pretty much everyone knows about them. They may seem to be an innocent little toy for kids or people who struggle with stress and anxiety. However, research has shown that fidget spinners can actually be a health hazard.

Some fidget spinners contain light emitting diodes with batteries, and when these are accidentally ingested they can causes severe health problems. For example, there are two cases of children swallowing batteries from broken fidget spinners: one of a 3-year-old boy, and the other of a 4-year-old girl.

In both cases, the ingestion of lithium batteries caused deep esophageal burns and required emergency endoscopy to remove the batteries.

“Lithium batteries are used in a range of household devices, and swallowing them is a recognized health concern. In fact, according to the National Capital Poison Center, in recent years there has been an increase in reported cases — including 36 deaths.”

Researchers have asked that “if a toddler presents with a history of unexplained sudden abdominal or chest pain, the physician should inquire if any fidget spinners are in the home. As for consumers and parents, extra vigilance is recommended. Understanding where the danger lies is the first step to preventing it.”

Thank you for taking the time to read this weeks blog, if you enjoyed it feel free to comment any topics you want to see me write about down below!



Sources used:



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *