Just a point of interest.
Scope – instrument for viewing and observing
Endoscopes: illuminated tubular instrument for visualising hollow organs, often with a channel to pass instruments through.
- Encephaloscope – cavities in the brain
- Laryngoscope – the larynx
- Esophagoscope – the inside of the oesophagus
- Angioscope – the blood vessels
- Nephroscope – the kidneys
- Arthroscope – the interior of a joint
- Rhinoscope – for nasal examinations
- Bronchoscope – the interior of the bronchi
- Gastroscope – the interior of the stomach
- Laparoscope – the peritoneal cavity (the abdomen)
- Amnioscope – the foetus through the cervical canal before the membrane is broken
- Cystoscope – the urinary tract
- Hysteroscope – the canal of the uterine cervix and the uterine cavity
Anoscope – anal canal
Colposcope – magnifies vagina and cervix
Otoscope – auditory canal and ear drum
Ophthalmoscope – interior of the eye
Microscope – making enlarged images of minute objects
Stethoscope – listening to sounds made in the body
To name just but a few!