- Somewhere suitable to live
- A proper diet, including fresh water
- The ability to express normal behaviour
- Any need to be housed with, or apart from, other animals
- Protection from, and treatment of, illness and injury
This is a very important point of interest as I realised after reading in the Veterinary Times that the annual PDSA Animal Wellbeing Report has highlighted a worrying drop in welfare needs awareness. One of the key findings included only 7% of children having heard of these five welfare needs.